New Nutrition Consultation Service for Mental Health and More!
In response to frequent requests from readers, I am pleased to offer secure, online video sessions for a variety of purposes, including:
- Clinical consultation for health professionals worldwide who are interested in incorporating nutrition principles into patient care.
- Personalized nutrition consultation for individuals in Massachusetts* 18 years of age or older interested in science-based nutrition strategies for improving their general or mental health. [*You must be physically located in the state of Massachusetts during the time of your appointment but you do not need to be a resident of the state of Massachusetts.This consultation service is intended for informational purposes only and cannot substitute for in-person medical or psychiatric care by your existing health care providers.]
- General nutrition questions (available worldwide). I frequently receive questions about nutrition science research or nutrition theory by email or on social media that are too involved for a quick reply. If you want to set up a short session to discuss your question or request that I research a topic for you, please request an appointment and we’ll take it from there. As long as you are not seeking medical advice, you do not need to be located in Massachusetts–you can schedule from anywhere.
The most powerful way to change your brain chemistry is through food…because that’s where brain chemicals come from in the first place.
I am a Harvard-trained, board-certified psychiatrist with nearly twenty years of clinical experience, including ten years of specialized experience in nutritional psychiatry. I speak internationally about nutrition science and write about food and the brain for Psychology Today and DietDoctor.com. My areas of expertise include paleo, low-carbohydrate, ketogenic, carnivore and elimination diets, insulin resistance, and food sensitivity syndromes. I am particularly qualified to be of assistance with matters related to nutrition and mental health.
Examples of ways I may be helpful include:
- Advising about how to begin, adjust, adapt to, or maintain your special diet
- Troubleshooting your existing diet to improve mental and physical health
- Recommending tests that can be helpful in evaluating your metabolic health and nutrition status
- Exploring the possibility of unrecognized food sensitivities that may be contributing to syndromes such as fibromyalgia, fatigue, migraines, IBS, ADHD, etc.
- Answering questions about nutrition science, and indulging your curiosity about food and health.
- Ketogenic Diets for Psychiatric Disorders
If you would like to learn how a ketogenic diet may help you with symptoms of depression, ADHD, binge eating, autism, bipolar disorder, PTSD, psychosis, bulimia, food addiction, or other psychiatric issues, I can work with you. If you currently take psychiatric medication of any kind, I can offer guidance for you (and your clinicians, if you like) about how to manage your medications before, during, and after starting a ketogenic diet. [Please note that I cannot personally prescribe, adjust or discontinue medications for you via this online service.]
I look forward to hearing more about your goals and to helping you harness the power of nutrition for your improved health and well-being!
Comprehensive First-time Evaluation: The fee for a comprehensive consultation, which includes review of your history and records, a 60-minute video appointment with me, written summary of comprehensive recommendations for you and your care team, and secure follow-up message exchange, is $350 (USD). A single consultation may be all some people will need, but for those interested in further discussion, follow-up sessions are available at a rate of $240/hr (USD), with length of follow-up appointments completely up to you (i.e. you can book a 20-minute session for $80). If you don’t think you need a comprehensive evaluation, or simply prefer a straightforward hourly rate, see below.
Hourly Rate for Clinical and General Appointments: You can request sessions of any length for any reason during our initial written exchange. The rate for these appointments is the same $240/hr (USD)as follow-up sessions mentioned above. My automatic calendar system will only offer you a one-hour consultation, but I can change the length of the session after we connect.
To request an appointment, click on the link below. We will then have a brief, confidential written exchange to be sure my service is right for you before confirming your appointment.
No billing information is gathered from you until we both agree it makes sense to move forward and you’re happy with the appointment plan.
Nutrition Consultation, Education and Support for Health Professionals
Worldwide Clinician Consultation Services: I am also available to consult with health professionals of all backgrounds who care for patients with psychiatric disorders about how to incorporate science-based nutrition strategies into clinical practice. This service is available to clinicians worldwide. Rates for professional consultation are $300/hr (USD); you can book appointments as short as 15 minutes ($75) or as long as 90 minutes ($450). My calendar program will usually only offer you a 60-minute appointment, but I will ask you during our initial exchange how long you’d like your session to be and can adjust the duration accordingly. Please use the link below to see my schedule and request an appointment. We will then have a brief written exchange to be sure we both think a consultation will be helpful before confirming your appointment. No billing information is gathered from you until we both agree it makes sense to move forward and you’re happy with the appointment plan.
I look forward to being of service!
I understand that private sessions are not affordable for many people. Over the years I have worked hard to research and produce numerous free written and video resources for the general public and for my fellow clinicians to help people incorporate the truth about brain food into their lives. I created all of these materials independently, without any industry funding. Other than a handful of affiliate links on my website and a handful of kind reader donations, which together cover less than 5% of my costs, my body of work is entirely self-funded. I hope you find this list helpful.
- Video: Our Descent Into Madness: Modern Diets and the Global Mental Health Crisis [this video explains how processed foods and plant-based diets place the brain at risk]
- Ketogenic Diets for Psychiatric Disorders: where the science stands, and what it means for you
- Ketogenic Diets and Psychiatric Medications: what you need to know before you go low-carb
- Top Ten Tips for a Healthier Brain
- Your Brain on Plants: Micronutrients and Mental Health
- Cooling Brain Inflammation Naturally with Food
- Stabilize Your Mood with Food