In response to requests from readers, I am now able to offer secure, online video consults for a variety of needs.
I. Clinical Nutrition Consultation for Health Professionals (worldwide)
Need a nutritional psychiatry curbside consult? I work with health professionals of all backgrounds who care for patients with psychiatric disorders around how to incorporate science-based nutrition strategies into clinical practice. Guidance around metabolic lab tests, medication management during keto-adaptation, psychiatric contraindications to dietary therapy, help with challenging cases, and more. Available worldwide. Click on the Request Appointment button and choose “Clinician-to-Clinician Consult.”
II. General Nutrition, Mental Health and Science Questions (worldwide)
Need information about nutrition to support your mental or physical health goals? If you have questions about nutrition and mental health, nutrition science, special diets, nutrition and overall health, or how special diets may affect your medications, I can help you no matter where you live. I cannot provide official medical advice or establish a physician-patient relationship with you, but I can offer information-only consults that you can use to support your work with your local health care team. Click the Request Appointment button and choose “Information Session.”
III. Medical Nutrition Consultation (Massachusetts only*)
Need medical advice about nutrition for a mental or physical health problem? If you are located in Massachusetts, I can prescribe dietary strategies with the potential to reduce or perhaps even eliminate your need for psychiatric medication, troubleshoot your current special diet to improve your results, conduct second-opinion diagnostic evaluations, and advise about medication adjustments. [I cannot personally prescribe, adjust or discontinue medications via this online service, but I can guide you and/or your health care team about how to proceed]. Click the Request Appointment button and choose “Massachusetts Client.“
*You must be at least 18 years old and physically located in the state of Massachusetts during the time of your appointment, but you do not need to be a resident of the state of Massachusetts.
Not sure which type of appointment you need? If you’re not sure which type of appointment you need, or if you need help deciding whether this service is right for you, email me through my contact page.
Examples of How I Can Help
- Advising you about how to begin, adjust, adapt to, or maintain your special diet
- Troubleshooting your existing special diet to improve mental and physical health
- Optimizing plant-based diets to improve delivery of essential nutrients to the brain
- Recommending tests that can be helpful in evaluating your metabolic health and nutrition status
- Exploring the possibility of unrecognized food sensitivities that may be contributing to syndromes such as fibromyalgia, panic attacks, fatigue, migraines, IBS, ADHD, etc.
- Answering questions about nutrition science or researching special topics for you
- Ketogenic diets for psychiatric disorders. If you would like to learn how a ketogenic diet may help you with symptoms of depression, ADHD, binge eating, autism, bipolar disorder, PTSD, psychosis, bulimia, food addiction, or other psychiatric issues, I can help you. If you currently take psychiatric medication of any kind, I can offer guidance for you (and your clinicians, if you like) about how to manage your medications before, during, and after starting a ketogenic diet. [Please note that I cannot personally prescribe, adjust or discontinue medications for you via this online service.]
How to Make an Appointment
- Click the “Request Appointment” button and choose the date, time, length and type of appointment you want (Clinician-to-Clinician Consult, Massachusetts Client, or Information Session).
- I will send you a welcome email from @simplepractice.com with a link to my secure client portal. The portal is where you will find the registration forms needed to confirm your appointment. This message will also contain a unique video link to connect with me at the time of your appointment. [I respond to all appointment requests promptly. If you have not heard back from me within 24 hours, please check your spam/junk email folders and add simplepractice.com and protonmail.com to your list of safe domains to be sure you can receive my messages.]
- Log on to the client portal and complete the registration forms to secure your appointment (no later than 24 hours prior to our appointment time, please). I will then send you an official confirmation message. At the time of our appointment, simply click on the video link I sent you and we will be connected!
Hourly Rate and Payment: The rate for all appointment types is $240/hour (USD). Appointment fees are “pro-rated”, so a 30-minute appointment costs $120, a 45-minute appointment costs $180, etc. Detailed information about all practice policies, including fees for work conducted between sessions, is shared with all clients during the registration process prior to confirming the first appointment. Payments are handled by Stripe, a third-party online payment processing service (similar to PayPal) that accepts most credit and debit cards. Clients are not charged anything until after the successful completion of each appointment or service. These services are not covered by insurance. [See below for a list of free resources]
Questions about this Consult Service?
[Please note: emails sent to my contact page are not secure or HIPAA-compliant, so it is best not to include sensitive personal information in your message.]
I understand that private sessions are not affordable for many people. Over the years I have worked hard to research and produce numerous free written and video resources for the general public and for my fellow clinicians. I created all of these materials independently, without any industry funding. Other than a few affiliate links on my website and a handful of kind reader donations, which together cover less than 5% of my costs, my body of work is entirely self-funded.
Here is a short list of selected resources you may find helpful. Plenty more are available elsewhere on this site and on my Psychology Today homepage.
- Video: Our Descent Into Madness: Modern Diets and the Global Mental Health Crisis [this video explains how processed foods and plant-based diets place the brain at risk]
- Video: Mental Health Benefits of a Carnivore Diet
- Ketogenic Diets for Psychiatric Disorders: where the science stands, and what it means for you
- Ketogenic Diets and Psychiatric Medications: what you need to know before you go low-carb
- Top Ten Tips for a Healthier Brain
- Your Brain on Plants: Micronutrients and Mental Health
- Cooling Brain Inflammation Naturally with Food
- Stabilize Your Mood with Food
My Philosophy, Credentials and Experience
I am a Harvard-trained, board-certified psychiatrist with nearly twenty years of clinical experience, including ten years of specialized experience in nutritional psychiatry. I speak internationally about nutrition science and write about food and the brain for Psychology Today and DietDoctor.com. My areas of expertise include paleo, low-carbohydrate, ketogenic, carnivore and elimination diets, insulin resistance, and food sensitivity syndromes. I am particularly qualified to be of assistance with matters related to nutrition and mental health.
The most powerful way to change your brain chemistry is through food…because that’s where brain chemicals come from in the first place.
These are cash pay services that are not covered by health insurance. All communication is private and HIPAA-compliant. Dr. Ede maintains secure, confidential records of all communications with her clients.