If you would like to consult with me about how you can use specialized nutrition strategies to support you in your personal mental health and wellness goals, you can now schedule secure, confidential, online video appointments with me from anywhere in the world.
Whether you are seeking a one-time comprehensive consultation or ongoing support, you will find all the information you need about services, fees, and scheduling on this page. If you’d like to schedule an appointment, simply click on the “Request Appointment” button at the bottom of the page.
Which Kind of Appointment Is Right for You?
I. General Nutrition, Mental Health and Science Questions (worldwide)
Need information about nutrition to support your mental health goals? If you have questions about nutrition and mental health, nutrition science, special diets, nutrition and overall health, or how special diets may affect your psychiatric medications, I can help you no matter where you live. I cannot provide official medical advice or establish a physician-patient relationship with you, but I can answer questions and offer detailed information you can use to support your work with your local health care team. I can also consult directly with your local health care providers to answer questions about your special diet if you wish. Click the Request Appointment button and choose “Information Session.”
II. Medical Nutrition Consultation (Massachusetts only*)
Need medical advice about nutrition for a mental health problem? If you are located in Massachusetts, I can order lab tests, prescribe ketogenic or other dietary strategies with the potential to reduce or perhaps even eliminate your need for psychiatric medication, troubleshoot your current special diet to improve your results, conduct second-opinion diagnostic evaluations, advise about medication side effects and adjustments, and consult directly with your local psychiatrist, nurse practitioner or therapist. [I cannot personally prescribe, adjust or discontinue medications via this online service, but I can guide you and/or your health care team about how to proceed]. Click the Request Appointment button and choose “Massachusetts Client.“
*You must be at least 18 years old and physically located in the state of Massachusetts during the time of your appointment, but you do not need to be a resident of the state of Massachusetts.
III. Clinical Nutrition Consultation for Health Professionals (worldwide)
Need a clinician-to-clinician professional consult? I work with health professionals of all backgrounds who care for patients with psychiatric disorders around how to incorporate science-based nutrition strategies into clinical practice. Guidance around metabolic lab tests, medication management during keto-adaptation, psychiatric contraindications to dietary therapy, help with challenging cases, and more. Available worldwide. Click on the Request Appointment button and choose “Clinician-to-Clinician Consult.”
Not sure which type of appointment you need? If you’re not sure which type of appointment you need, or if you need help deciding whether this service is right for you, email me through my contact page.
Examples of How I Can Help
- Ketogenic (and other) diets for psychiatric disorders. If you would like to learn how a ketogenic diet or other special diet may help you with symptoms of depression, ADHD, binge eating, autism, bipolar disorder, PTSD, psychosis, bulimia, food addiction, or other psychiatric issues, I can help you. If you currently take psychiatric medication of any kind, I can offer guidance for you (and your clinicians, if you like) about how to manage your medications before, during, and after starting a ketogenic diet. [Please note that I cannot personally prescribe, adjust or discontinue medications for you via this online service.]
- Advising you about how to begin, adjust, adapt to, or maintain your special diet
- Troubleshooting your existing special diet to improve mental and physical health
- Optimizing plant-based diets to improve delivery of essential nutrients to the brain
- Recommending tests that can be helpful in evaluating your metabolic health and nutrition status
- Exploring the possibility of unrecognized food sensitivities that may be contributing to syndromes such as fibromyalgia, panic attacks, fatigue, migraines, IBS, ADHD, etc.
- Answering questions about nutrition science or researching special topics for you
Comprehensive Initial Consultation ($240 USD). This flat fee applies to all first-time appointments of every type, and includes the following:
- Careful review of your written health history, questions and goals prior to our session to prepare for our conversation. If you are a clinician, I will review the written details of your case(s) prior to the session.
- A full 60-minute secure (HIPAA-compliant), confidential, online video consultation
- Sharing of pertinent resources and written personalized feedback to support your goals after our session. These vary, depending on the individual, but may include diet plans, food information, recommended lab tests, and further reading.
Follow-up Sessions ($180/hr). This rate applies to all appointment types for any client (clinicians included) who has already had an initial consultation. Minimum session length is 30 minutes but you may schedule longer follow-up sessions if you wish.
Clinical training about how to implement ketogenic diets in the treatment of psychiatric disorders is now available for your practice and can be customized to your needs. Details available upon request. To learn more, please write to me through my contact page.
Payments are handled by Stripe, a third-party online payment processing service (similar to PayPal) that accepts most credit and debit cards.
You are never charged anything until after the successful completion of each appointment or service.
Information about all practice policies, including fees for work conducted between sessions, and policy/pricing regarding ongoing secure email support, is shared with all clients during the registration process prior to confirming the first appointment.
These services are not typically covered by insurance. While you are welcome to submit paid receipts to apply for reimbursement from your insurance company, most insurance providers do not cover nutrition counseling by psychiatrists.
How to Make an Appointment
- Click the “Request Appointment” button below and choose the date, time, length and type of appointment you want (Clinician-to-Clinician Consult, Massachusetts Client, or Information Session).
- I will send you a welcome email from @simplepractice.com with a link to my secure client portal. Please add simplepractice.com and protonmail.com to your list of safe domains to be sure you can receive my messages. I usually respond to appointment requests within less than 24 hours, so if you have not heard from me please check your spam folders for misdirected messages. My response will include the registration forms needed to confirm your appointment, including a questionnaire which gives you the opportunity to share your history and questions with me and to communicate with me prior to confirming the appointment. If either of us feels this service isn’t a good fit for your questions, we can simply cancel the appointment at no charge.
- Log on to the client portal and complete the registration forms to secure your appointment I will then send you an official confirmation message. You are not charged anything until after the appointment has taken place.
My Philosophy, Credentials and Experience
I am a Harvard-trained, board-certified psychiatrist with nearly twenty years of clinical experience, including ten years of specialized experience in nutritional psychiatry at Harvard University Health Services, Smith College, the Hallowell Center, and private practice settings. I speak internationally about nutrition science and write about food and the brain for Psychology Today and DietDoctor.com. My areas of expertise include paleo, low-carbohydrate, ketogenic, carnivore and elimination diets, insulin resistance, food sensitivity syndromes, and supplementation of whole foods plant-based diets. I am particularly qualified to be of assistance with matters related to nutrition and mental health.
The most powerful way to change your brain chemistry is through food…because that’s where brain chemicals come from in the first place.
Questions about this service?
[Please note: emails sent to my contact page are not secure or HIPAA-compliant, so it is best not to include sensitive personal information in your message.]
I understand that private sessions are not affordable for many people. Over the years I have worked hard to research and produce numerous free written and video resources for the general public and for my fellow clinicians. I created all of these materials independently, without any industry funding. Other than a few affiliate links on my website and a handful of kind reader donations, which together cover less than 5% of my costs, my body of work is entirely self-funded.
Here is a short list of selected resources you may find helpful. Plenty more are available elsewhere on this site and on my Psychology Today homepage.
- New comprehensive guide to low-carb diets for mental health now available free to everyone on the DietDoctor website. It is published in four installments and covers just about everything you need to know about the science and practice of low-carb diets for psychiatric disorders. It is intended to be helpful for patients and clinicians alike:
- Video: Our Descent Into Madness: Modern Diets and the Global Mental Health Crisis [this video explains how processed foods and plant-based diets place the brain at risk and includes my basic recommendations for improving mental health through diet]
- Video: Mental Health Benefits of a Carnivore Diet
- Ketogenic Diets for Psychiatric Disorders: where the science stands, and what it means for you
- Ketogenic Diets and Psychiatric Medications: what you need to know before you go low-carb
- Top Ten Tips for a Healthier Brain
- Your Brain on Plants: Micronutrients and Mental Health
- Cooling Brain Inflammation Naturally with Food
- Stabilize Your Mood with Food