How Can I Help You?
If you would like to consult with me about how you can use specialized nutrition strategies to support you in your personal mental health and wellness goals or in your clinical practice, you can schedule secure, confidential, online video appointments with me from anywhere in the world.
Services for Individuals
Nutrition for Mental Health Consultation and Coaching (worldwide, adults only)
Would you like to explore dietary strategies that have the potential to improve psychiatric symptoms such as depression, anxiety, ADHD, binge eating, or mood swings? Already following a special diet for mental health but not seeing the results you’d hoped for? Interested in understanding how special diets may affect your psychiatric medications? If you are 18 years of age or older, I can work with you no matter where you live. See further below for examples of how I can help. I cannot provide official medical advice or establish a physician-patient relationship with you, but I can offer detailed personalized feedback, monitoring, and support to complement your ongoing work with your local health care team. I can also consult directly with your local health care providers to answer questions about your special diet. To gain the most benefit from this service, once the initial consultation is completed, three to six follow-up appointments are recommended (but not required), particularly if you are interested in using a ketogenic diet to manage a mental health condition. To schedule your first session, scroll down the page to click the Request Appointment button and choose “Initial Consultation.”
Services for Clinicians
Clinical Nutrition Consultation for Health Professionals (worldwide)
Need a clinician-to-clinician professional consult? I work with health professionals of all backgrounds who care for patients with psychiatric disorders around how to incorporate science-based nutrition strategies into clinical practice. Guidance around metabolic lab tests, medication management during keto-adaptation, psychiatric contraindications to dietary therapy, help with challenging cases, and more. Available worldwide. Scroll down the page and click on the Request Appointment button and choose “Clinician-to-Clinician Consult.”
Clinical Training in Ketogenic Diets
Virtual or onsite training for individual clinicians or groups practices about how to implement ketogenic diets in the treatment of psychiatric disorders is now available and can be customized to your clinical needs. Details and pricing available upon request. To learn more, please write to me through my contact page.
Not sure which type of appointment you need? If you need help deciding whether this service is right for you, email me through my contact page.
Examples of how I can help
- Ketogenic (and other) diets for psychiatric disorders. If you would like to learn how a ketogenic diet or other special diet may help you with symptoms of depression, ADHD, binge eating, autism, bipolar disorder, PTSD, psychosis, bulimia, food addiction, or other psychiatric issues, I can help you. If you currently take psychiatric medication of any kind, I can offer guidance for you (and your clinicians, if you like) about how to manage your medications before, during, and after starting a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic or carnivore diet. [Please note that I cannot personally prescribe, adjust or discontinue medications for you via this online service.]
- Advising you about how to begin, adjust, adapt to, or maintain your special diet
- Troubleshooting your existing special diet to improve mental health
- Optimizing plant-based diets to improve delivery of essential nutrients to the brain
- Recommending tests that can be helpful in evaluating your metabolic health and nutrition status
- Exploring the possibility of unrecognized food sensitivities that may be contributing to syndromes such as fibromyalgia, panic attacks, fatigue, migraines, IBS, ADHD, etc.
Comprehensive Initial Consultation ($240 USD). This flat fee applies to all first-time appointments of every type, and includes the following:
- Careful review of your written health history, questions and goals prior to our session to prepare for our conversation. If you are a clinician, I will review the written details of your case(s) prior to the session.
- A full 60-minute secure (HIPAA-compliant), confidential, online video consultation.
- Sharing of pertinent resources to support your goals after our session. These vary, depending on the individual, but may include diet plans, food information, recommended lab tests, and further reading.
Follow-up Sessions ($90 USD/30 mins). This rate applies to all appointment types for any client (clinicians included) who has already had an initial consultation. Minimum session length is 30 minutes but you may schedule longer follow-up sessions if you wish.
Payments are handled by Stripe, a third-party online payment processing service (similar to PayPal) that accepts most credit and debit cards.
You are never charged anything until after the successful completion of each appointment or service.
Information about all practice policies, including fees for work conducted between sessions, and policy/pricing regarding ongoing secure email support, is shared with all clients during the registration process prior to confirming the first appointment.
These services are not typically covered by insurance. While you are welcome to submit paid receipts to apply for reimbursement from your insurance company, most insurance providers do not cover nutrition counseling by psychiatrists.
How to make an appointment
- Click the “Request Appointment” button below and choose the date and type of appointment you want.
- I will send you a welcome email from @simplepractice.com with a link to my secure client portal. Please add simplepractice.com and protonmail.com to your list of safe domains to be sure you can receive my messages. I usually respond to appointment requests within less than 24 hours, so if you have not heard from me please check your spam folders for misdirected messages. My response will include the registration forms needed to confirm your appointment, including a questionnaire which gives you the opportunity to share your history and questions with me and to communicate with me prior to confirming the appointment. If either of us feels this service isn’t a good fit for your questions, we can simply cancel the appointment at no charge.
- Log on to the client portal and complete the registration forms to secure your appointment I will then send you an official confirmation message. You are not charged anything until after the appointment has taken place.
These are cash pay services that are not covered by health insurance. All communication is private and HIPAA-compliant. Dr. Ede maintains secure, confidential records of all communications with her clients.
My philosophy, credentials and experience
I am a Harvard-trained, board-certified psychiatrist with nearly twenty years of clinical experience, including ten years of specialized experience in nutritional psychiatry at Harvard University Health Services, Smith College, the Hallowell Center, and private practice settings. I speak internationally about nutrition science and write about food and the brain for Psychology Today and DietDoctor.com. My areas of expertise include paleo, low-carbohydrate, ketogenic, carnivore and elimination diets, insulin resistance, food sensitivity syndromes, and supplementation of whole foods plant-based diets. I am particularly qualified to be of assistance with matters related to nutrition and mental health.
Questions about this consult service?
[Please note: emails sent to my contact page are not secure or HIPAA-compliant, so it is best not to include sensitive personal information in your message.]
The most powerful way to change your brain chemistry is through food, because that’s where brain chemicals come from in the first place.
—Georgia Ede MD
I understand that private sessions are not affordable for many people. Over the years I have worked hard to research and produce numerous free written and video resources for the general public and for my fellow clinicians. I created all of these materials independently, without any industry funding. Other than a few affiliate links on my website and a handful of kind reader donations, which together cover less than 5% of my costs, my body of work is entirely self-funded.
Here is a short list of selected resources you may find helpful.Plenty more are available elsewhere on this site and on my Psychology Today homepage.
- New comprehensive guide to low-carb diets for mental health now available free to everyone on the DietDoctor website. It is published in four installments and covers just about everything you need to know about the science and practice of low-carb diets for psychiatric disorders. It is intended to be helpful for patients and clinicians alike:
- Video: Our Descent Into Madness: Modern Diets and the Global Mental Health Crisis [this video explains how processed foods and plant-based diets place the brain at risk]
- Video: Mental Health Benefits of a Carnivore Diet
- Ketogenic Diets for Psychiatric Disorders: where the science stands, and what it means for you
- Ketogenic Diets and Psychiatric Medications: what you need to know before you go low-carb
- Top Ten Tips for a Healthier Brain
- Your Brain on Plants: Micronutrients and Mental Health
- Cooling Brain Inflammation Naturally with Food
- Stabilize Your Mood with Food
Cleaning Up the Mental Mess with Dr. Caroline Leaf:
Episode #131: What to eat for optimal mental health with Dr. Georgia Ede
Empowered Health with Emily Kumlar:
Brain health, vegans and carnivores with psychiatrist Dr. Georgia Ede
Ivor Cummins Podcast:
Dr. Georgia Ede: Can optimized diet deliver major improvements in mental health issues?
Nutrition, brain metabolism, and the root causes of mental illness with Georgia Ede, MD
Mind Body Green:
Episode 154 - The optimal diet for mental health according to nutritional psychiatrist Georgia Ede, MD