How Can I Help You?
Schedule an online nutritional psychiatry consultation with me to explore specialized nutrition strategies that can help improve your mental health or support your clinical mental health practice. Available worldwide.
Nutrition Consultations for Mental Health
I offer a variety of specialized online services for individuals, families, and clinicians including hourly information sessions, comprehensive consultations, collaborative clinical care for Massachusetts residents, clinician-to-clinician curbside consultations, and trainings for health professionals interested in learning how to use ketogenic diets and other special nutritional strategies to augment the care of people with psychiatric conditions. Click below on the service(s) you are interested in to learn more.
Price: 795 USD
This may be a good option for you if you are currently dealing with a mental health condition and want me to review the particulars of your unique situation and provide detailed personalized feedback for you and your local health care team to consider.
The process begins with a complimentary preliminary review of your history and questions to ensure this service is right for you. Once confirmed, your full consultation will include:
- Review of your complete medical, psychiatric and dietary history prior to your session
- Review of your past laboratory and other clinical test results prior to your session [If the records you submit for review are unusually extensive or complex, an additional fee may apply.]
- 90-minute online video consultation
- Written report summarizing my clinical impressions, answers to your questions, suggestions for further testing if applicable, nutrition strategies to consider, and feedback about medication management to share with your local health care provider(s)
- 30-minute follow-up session to address any questions about the written report [your choice of video, phone or secure message/secure email format]
This service is intended for informational purposes only and does not establish a physician-patient relationship with me. You must be 18 yrs of age or older to schedule a session.
Clinical nutritional psychiatry services for Massachusetts residents
If you live in Massachusetts and are 18 years of age or older, I may be able to offer you additional, ongoing clinical services once your initial comprehensive consultation is complete, depending on circumstances and availability.
Q & A Sessions
Price: 240 USD/hour
These one-hour sessions are ideal for anyone interested in learning more about nutritional strategies with the potential to improve mental health. It’s also a great option for family members interested in understanding the risks and benefits of nutrition therapy for loved ones living with mental health challenges. While you’re welcome to ask me anything, examples of common topics include ketogenic diets and psychiatric disorders, interactions between special diets and psychiatric medications, questions about where the current research stands in the fields of nutrition and metabolic psychiatry, laboratory testing for insulin resistance and nutrient deficiencies, and how to optimize any diet to support better mental health. I have clinical expertise and scientific knowledge about a wide variety of special diets including ketogenic diets, paleo diets, plant-based diets, Mediterranean diets, elimination diets, simple low-carbohydrate diets, and carnivore diets.
*This service is intended for informational purposes only and does not establish a physician-patient relationship with me. You must be 18 yrs of age or older to schedule a session.
Nutrition Consultations for Health Professionals
Price: 240 USD/hour
Are you a clinician caring for people with psychiatric conditions who would like to learn more about how to incorporate ketogenic or other science-based dietary strategies into your practice? I can provide one-on-one guidance around metabolic lab tests, medication management during keto-adaptation, psychiatric contraindications to dietary therapy, help with challenging cases, and more.
Clinician Trainings in Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health
Virtual or onsite training programs for individual clinicians and group practices about how to implement ketogenic diets in the treatment of psychiatric disorders is now available. For more information, visit the Training page or view the training brochure.
Please note that my practice and my waitlist are currently full, but I will update this page as soon as new appointments become available, which is unlikely to be before May 1st, 2021. If you are already on my waitlist, you will be contacted about scheduling as soon as an opening becomes available, so there is nothing further you need to do.
If you are an existing client trying to schedule a follow-up appointment, please send me a secure message through your client portal or email me and I will be happy to schedule you.
If you are a clinician interested in my Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health clinician training program, new classes are beginning soon, so please visit my Training Page for more information.
My philosophy, credentials and experience
I am a Harvard-trained, board-certified psychiatrist with nearly twenty years of clinical experience, including ten years of specialized experience in nutritional psychiatry at Harvard University Health Services, Smith College, the Hallowell Center, and private practice settings. I speak internationally about nutrition science and write about food and the brain for Psychology Today and DietDoctor.com. My areas of expertise include paleo, low-carbohydrate, ketogenic, carnivore and elimination diets, insulin resistance, food sensitivity syndromes, and supplementation of whole foods plant-based diets. I am particularly qualified to be of assistance with matters related to nutrition and mental health.
The most powerful way to change your brain chemistry is through food, because that’s where brain chemicals come from in the first place.
—Georgia Ede MD
I understand that private sessions are not affordable for many people. Over the years I have worked hard to research and produce numerous free written and video resources for the general public and for my fellow clinicians. I created all of these materials independently, without any industry funding. Other than a few affiliate links on my website and a handful of kind reader donations, which together cover less than 5% of my costs, my body of work is entirely self-funded.
Here is a short list of selected resources you may find helpful.Plenty more are available elsewhere on this site and on my Psychology Today homepage.
- New comprehensive guide to low-carb diets for mental health now available free to everyone on the DietDoctor website. It is published in four installments and covers just about everything you need to know about the science and practice of low-carb diets for psychiatric disorders. It is intended to be helpful for patients and clinicians alike:
- Video: Our Descent Into Madness: Modern Diets and the Global Mental Health Crisis [this video explains how processed foods and plant-based diets place the brain at risk]
- Video: Mental Health Benefits of a Carnivore Diet
- Ketogenic Diets for Psychiatric Disorders: where the science stands, and what it means for you
- Ketogenic Diets and Psychiatric Medications: what you need to know before you go low-carb
- Top Ten Tips for a Healthier Brain
- Your Brain on Plants: Micronutrients and Mental Health
- Cooling Brain Inflammation Naturally with Food
- Stabilize Your Mood with Food
Cleaning Up the Mental Mess with Dr. Caroline Leaf:
Episode #131: What to eat for optimal mental health with Dr. Georgia Ede
Empowered Health with Emily Kumlar:
Brain health, vegans and carnivores with psychiatrist Dr. Georgia Ede
Ivor Cummins Podcast:
Dr. Georgia Ede: Can optimized diet deliver major improvements in mental health issues?
Nutrition, brain metabolism, and the root causes of mental illness with Georgia Ede, MD
Mind Body Green:
Episode 154 - The optimal diet for mental health according to nutritional psychiatrist Georgia Ede, MD