Transform Your Practice
This comprehensive CME-approved training program is designed to give health professionals of all backgrounds the scientific knowledge and practical tools needed to safely and confidently incorporate the cutting-edge principles of nutritional and metabolic psychiatry into clinical practice.
Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health Clinician Training Course
Public interest in ketogenic diets for the management of psychiatric conditions is growing rapidly, but there are precious few mental health professionals prepared to meet the demand for these specialized clinical services. While ketogenic diets have the potential to revolutionize psychiatric care, their use can pose unique challenges in the context of mental health conditions such as eating disorders, bipolar mood conditions, and food addiction, and when combined with psychiatric medications. This curriculum was created to prepare clinicians to anticipate and safely manage these unique challenges.
- Live, virtual, classes limited to 6 clinicians per series ensure a quality group experience
- Scientific underpinnings, clinical evaluation, risk assessment, patient engagement, dietary options, implementation, troubleshooting, case studies, and much more
- Psychiatric medication management in the context of low-carbohydrate diets for prescribers and non-prescribers
- 100+ pages of fully referenced clinical materials to support your practice, including patient handouts
- Opportunities to network with like-minded clinicians and learn how to grow your practice
The next live small-group classes will begin in April. Schedules will be determined in mid-March and are tailored to the availability of clinician participants. If you think you may be interested in joining an April group or have any questions about the program please fill out the inquiry form below.
There is also the option to take the course “offline” if you prefer. You would receive links to video recordings of all five modules that will remain active for 90 days, as well as 100+ pages of supplemental materials and resources to review at your own pace that are yours to keep. As the pre-recorded program is not eligible for continuing education credits, the course fee is reduced by 20%. If you think you may be interested in the offline option or have any questions about the program please fill out the inquiry form below.
Questions about the Clinician Training Program
Click on the FAQ topics below to learn more about this training program.
Using ketogenic diets to manage mental health conditions requires special knowledge and skills.
The Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health clinician training program is the only comprehensive CME-accredited course of its kind and is designed to provide you with the scientific knowledge and clinical tools you need to begin safely and confidently incorporating these powerful metabolic interventions into your clinical care of people with mental health conditions.
The program consists of interactive small-group video modules of 90 minutes each, which take place once a week over 5 consecutive weeks. Each module provides approximately 60 minutes of slide-supported educational content and 30 minutes for questions and discussion. Video recordings of all sessions are available for your review during the program and for 30 days thereafter.
Each class is limited to no more than 6 clinician participants to ensure a high-quality interactive group experience in which you have the opportunity to connect, learn, and share with fellow nutrition-oriented clinicians from around the world. Upon completion of the course you will be invited to join a private clinician support network so that you can remain connected to Dr. Ede, your fellow students, and previous course graduates.
Metabolic health is key to optimal mental and physical health.
It’s long been recognized that a properly formulated keto diet effectively treats metabolic syndrome, which is a key driver of many common chronic diseases, including obesity, cardiovascular disease, and type two diabetes. However, the equally significant mental health benefits—and how to achieve them—are far less widely appreciated. Interest in ketogenic diets for mental health is growing rapidly among patients, increasing demand for clinicians who are knowledgeable and skilled in these interventions. Learning how to safely and confidently incorporate ketogenic therapies into your work will help to meet this growing need, help to improve your clinical outcomes, and help revitalize your practice.
Tuition for this live, 5-module CME-accredited Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health small-group clinician training program, including 100+ pages of supplementary materials is $1,350 (US).
Unlock the door to a powerful new metabolic intervention service and income stream for your practice! Course includes these valuable benefits:
- Comprehensive content covering everything you need to begin implementing ketogenic diets into your clinical practice
- Live, small group format that ensures a high-quality learning experience with individualized attention
- Interactive sessions with ample time for questions and discussion
- Module materials—detailed, comprehensive handouts containing all of the information presented in each class to minimize your need for notetaking during the course. All content is fully referenced, continually updated with the latest scientific information, and includes live links to additional information.
- Patient handouts designed to be shared with your clients and colleagues
- Food lists and diet options, including a gradual implementation approach for clients who prefer that
- Helpful clinical guides for laboratory testing, metabolic monitoring, and nutrient optimization with clinical values listed in both conventional and standard international (SI) units.
- Documentation of cutting-edge science that supports using ketogenic diets for mental health (evidence is formatted for sharing with your collaborating colleagues who may need more information before considering this approach).
- Practical tools for client assessment and treatment implementation
- Medication management guidelines for safe, low-carbohydrate treatment in the context of psychiatric, diabetes and/or other medications. Whether you’re a prescriber or a non-prescriber, this course advises on crucial safety precautions that protect your clients and reduce your liability.
- Important health condition precautions to minimize medical and legal risk
- Better outcomes for your clients (in many cases) whether they are using ketogenic diets in combination with or instead of medications
- Access to a clinician support network of course graduates
- CMEs/CEUs to meet your continuing education requirements
- And not to be overlooked . . . personal health benefits—many course participants report a significant improvement in their own mental and/or physical health as a result of this training.
Group discounts available: Special pricing options are available by request for clinic-wide or practice-wide training (or any colleague group) involving six or more participants. Please complete the inquiry form below and describe the nature of your group or ask questions about a group training.
Module 1: The Science and Safety of Ketogenic Diets
- Nutritional and metabolic underpinnings of psychiatric disorders
- Brain metabolism: glucose, ketones, insulin resistance
- Therapeutic impact of ketosis on inflammation, oxidation, neurotransmitter regulation, energy delivery, and neuroplasticity
- The latest research: how ketogenic diets affect specific mental health conditions
Module 2: Modern Psychiatric Evaluation and Client Engagement
- Medical and psychiatric contraindications to ketogenic diets
- Clinical testing: insulin resistance, nutrient status, inflammation, autoimmunity
- Engagement: expectations, readiness, obstacles, goal-setting, motivation, support
- Care coordination and contingency planning for mental health emergencies
Module 3: Implementation of Ketogenic Metabolic Therapies
- Brain-healthy diet principles
- Macronutrient calculation, metabolic monitoring, ketone target ranges
- Keto-adaptation: general concerns, mental health concerns, mitigation strategies
- MCTs, exogenous ketones, and time-restricted eating
Module 4: Medication Management
- The metabolic impact of psychiatric medications
- Medication safety and monitoring concerns
- Diabetes medications and other nonpsychotropic medications
- Psychiatric medication adjustment and tapering strategies
Module 5: Troubleshooting
- Assessing and addressing dietary quality
- Troubleshooting ketone levels
- Identifying and managing food sensitivities and food addiction
- Managing treatment resistance and non-responders
This program welcomes adult-focused clinicians from all disciplines including psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, primary care physicians, psychologists, nutrition therapists, social workers, and health coaches. You may join a small group training as an individual or schedule a closed private training for your group practice or clinic.
Although one entire module is dedicated to medication management you do not need to be a prescriber to benefit from this module. All clinicians working with patients who are following ketogenic diets need to be aware of important potential interactions between the ketogenic diets and prescription medications.
You do not need to have any pre-existing specialized knowledge about ketogenic diets to benefit from this program; it is designed to bring everyone’s knowledge level to the same high standard by completion of the course. Past course participants have ranged from beginner-level clinicians to clinicians who already have advanced knowledge of ketogenic diets. Those with advanced knowledge should only take this course if they do not already have specialized knowledge and experience regarding the use of ketogenic diets specifically for mental health conditions.
This program may NOT be right for you if you work exclusively with: people under age 18, pregnant/nursing women, people undergoing acute treatment for substance use disorders, people in crisis, or people with anorexia. If you have questions, please submit the inquiry form below.
Your tuition for the comprehensive five-module Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health program includes all of the detailed resources listed below. Totaling more than 100 pages, these exclusive materials minimize your need for notetaking during the course and include handy reference guides to efficiently support your clinical practice, as well as documents designed to be shared with patients and colleagues. All content is fully referenced, continuously updated, lists clinical values in both conventional and standard international (SI) units, and includes live links to additional information.
- The Science and Safety of Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health
- Client Assessment and Engagement
- Treatment Planning and Implementation
- Ketogenic Diets and Medication Management
- Troubleshooting Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health
- Insulin Resistance Tests
- Laboratory Tests Checklist
- Guide to Metabolic Monitoring
- Calculating Macronutrients
- Guide to Nutrients
- Consent Form for Ketogenic Diet Therapy
- Intake Form Sample Questions
- Pre-Ketogenic Diet Cecklist
- Recommended Resources
- Patient Handout: Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Patient Handout: Tips for Success
- Patient Handout: Paleo Diet Food List
- Patient Handout: Ketogenic Diet Food List
- Shareable Resource: Cinical Rationale for the Use of Ketogenic Diets in Psychiatric Conditions
This training course is certified through the AAFP for most medical professionals and through the BCNS for nutrition specialists.
The Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists, the certifying board of the American Nutrition Association (ANA), designates this activity for a maximum of 6.5 continuing education credits for the Certified Nutrition Specialist®. The term of approval is from 04/22/2021 to 04/22/2024.
The AAFP has reviewed Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health Clinician Training Program, and deemed it acceptable for 7.00 online only, live AAFP prescribed credits. Term of approval is from 01/11/2021 to 01/11/2023. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
AAFP prescribed credits are accepted by the following organizations:
- American Medical Association (as PRA Category 1 Credit™)
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- American Nurses Credentialing Center
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board
- American Association of Medical Assistants
- American Board of Family Medicine
- American Board of Emergency Medicine
- American Board of Preventative Medicine
- American Board of Urology
- American Osteopathic Association
- College of Family Physicians of Canada
- Department of Healthcare Professions, Ministry of Public Health - Qatar Equivalency
Please check with your certifying board to determine how to report your credits.
I teach live courses every 1-2 months year-round and create each group schedule with the availability of participating clinicians in mind. Please fill out the inquiry form below expressing your scheduling preferences and I will keep in touch with you about future training dates.
There are five 90-minute sessions which take place over five consecutive weeks, held via Zoom videoconferencing. All sessions are recorded and available for repeat viewing until 30 days after the final session.
Yes, you can arrange for a closed private training, and group discounts are available for private classes containing six or more clinicians. Please use the inquiry form below to contact me and we can discuss your needs. Pricing for a modified training program is determined by the number of sessions, degree of customization, and number of participants.
Dr. Ede is a Harvard-trained, board-certified psychiatrist specializing in nutritional and metabolic psychiatry. She speaks internationally about ketogenic and other dietary strategies for psychiatric conditions, the nutritional differences between plant and animal foods, and global nutrition policy. She writes about food and the brain for Psychology Today, DietDoctor.com, and my own website DiagnosisDiet.com. Areas of expertise include paleo, ketogenic, carnivore, and elimination diets.
She has more than two decades of clinical experience in a variety of settings, including consultation-liaison psychiatry, community mental health, the Hallowell Center, Smith College, and Harvard University Health Services, where she was the first psychiatrist to offer nutrition-based treatments to students, faculty, and staff. Through her private practice based in Western Massachusetts, she has worked with hundreds of patients to improve mental health using ketogenic diets and other therapeutic nutritional strategies.
Currently this program is only offered as a live interactive group experience. If you would like to be to be notified if/when alternatives to the live course become available, please fill out the inquiry form below and note your interest in the questions field.
If you have a pre-existing conflict for one session or if an emergency arises and you are unable to attend a session, you will still have access to the video recording of the session you missed. If you already know in advance that you will need to miss more than one session it is probably best to take a future course which suits your schedule better, so that you will be able to participate in the interactive Q&A and discussion elements of the course which graduates tell me they greatly value and enjoy.
Simply contact me and I will send you a simple scheduling preferences calendar so you can share your availability with me. I will then do my best to take your preferences into consideration when creating future class schedules.
Discounted tuition is not available for the live course. If you would like to be notified if/when alternative versions of the course may become available for a reduced fee in the future, please fill out the inquiry form below and note your interest in the questions field.
If you have any questions which are not addressed here on the website about whether this course is right for you, how you can arrange for private or customized trainings, or any other questions, please fill out the inquiry form below.
To reserve your place in class, simply fill out the brief inquiry form below and we will respond promptly (typically within 24 hours or less) with detailed scheduling and registration information.
"Dr. Georgia Ede is a fantastic teacher. As a primary care physician, this course helped to expand my knowledge on the science and practical application of nutrition and mental disease. Fantastic, high level presentations and handouts. Dr. Ede is incredibly responsive to all questions. For questions she is unclear about, she looks up and provides the research answer. I especially enjoyed making connections with other members in my cohort."
—Christine Najjar, MD, MS, Primary Care Physician, Enfield, Connecticut
"I consider myself to have a good knowledge base in terms of implementing and trouble-shooting ketogenic diets, and using tools such as fasting. However this course was invaluable in terms of having a clear overview of the evidence base for use in mental health, and a framework for practical application when working with people with psychiatric disorders. I learned a considerable amount that will benefit my current practice, and it was refreshing to have the opportunity to learn directly from an experienced specialist when it comes to nutritional psychiatry. This was a thoroughly enjoyable course that I would recommend to any clinicians with an interest in incorporating dietary interventions to their practice. In my opinion, this is the future of psychiatric practice!"
—Rachel Brown, MBChB, Consultant Psychiatrist, Edinburgh, UK
"Dr. Ede’s knowledge on nutrition, scientific research, medication and human behaviors towards food is phenomenal, yet she condensed this into a very structured, practical, instantly applicable and ‘fluff free’ course. I have no idea how many 1000s of hours of research and nutritional psychiatry practice went into making the course, but she over delivered on value. Dr. Ede has a very nice manner and is beyond professional in how she conducts herself. I now feel confident seeing patients I would have avoided in the past. Dr. Ede’s handouts and patient assesment/monitoring sheets are worth the price of the course alone."
—Sara Pugh, Dr (Biochemistry), Hypnotherapist, Tower Clinic, Leeds, UK
"Dr. Ede explains the theory and science behind food’s direct impact on mental health in such a way that made it accesible to me and and allows me to easily explain it to my clients. I truly appreciated and learned from this course!"
—Kay Simmeth, LMFT, Marriage & Family Therapist, Los Angeles, California
"Dr. Ede is both a great instructor and an experienced physician with real life clinical experience. She brings these strengths to this class on top of the well-organized and structured content and creates an atmosphere for engaging discussion. Finally I was able to fill in some knowledge gaps! Thank you!"
—Polly Lysen-Halpern, ARNP, Nurse Practitioner, Seattle, Washington
"It was a delight, as well as an honor and privilege to participate in this comprehensive training with Dr. Ede, a leading expert in the field. Dr. Ede’s extensive knowledge of the topic, clear well-organized presentations, and genuine warmth and accessibility made this an outstanding clinician training. Highly recommend!"
—Diana Allen, MS, CNS, Clinical Nutritionist, Hadley, MA
"The Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health training course is a unique and amazing opportunity to learn about the science of nutrition and its powerful impact on mental health. This course provides the opportunity to combine science with the invaluable clinical experience of Dr. Ede, and thus be able to apply nutritional principles into clinical practice."
—Catherine Bouchard, MD, Clinique médicale de Sillery, Quebec, Canada
"Having a small group training experience with Dr. Ede was a wonderful way to expand my knowledge. I thoroughly enjoyed the content of the training as well as the exchange with colleagues. I knew I would appreciate the science, but I was completely impressed with who Dr. Ede is as a person and professional. The case examples and time for questions and answers were most helpful. I highly recommend the training for other helping professionals."
—Kelli Ritter, PhD, LPC, FNTP, Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, Georgia/Florida, USA
"I highly recommend Dr. Ede's clinical training program in ketogenic nutritional therapies for mental health providers. Our clinical team of psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, and psychotherapists learned a tremendous amount about the positive impact that ketogenic diets have on the brain and on mental health as well as about how to incorporate ketogenic nutritional therapies into our clinical practice. Everyone loved the training program and we were all extremely impressed by Dr. Ede's knowledge about nutritional science as well as by her extensive experience treating mental health patients with ketogenic nutritional therapies. A number of our clients have already made significant progress on improving not only their mental health symptoms but various longterm physical health issues as well. In my opinion, every mental health clinician should learn about and provide ketogenic nutritional protocols, as this can be a real game-changer for a lot of clients, and Dr. Ede's training program is the perfect way for clinicians to acquire the knowledge, tools, and resources to be able to successfully implement such protocols into one's clinical practice."
—Asher Adelman, MBA, FNTP, Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and CEO, Life Health and Wellness Center, Nevada, USA
"The class with Dr. Ede gave me tremendous tools and knowledge for my training of professionals. I can really encourage people I train to take this training. Extremely valuable."
—Bitten Jonsson, Leg SSK, RN, Addiction Specialist, Nasviken, Sweden
"Dr. Ede is the consummate professional. She has undertaken an extremely powerful, yet neglected dimension to psychiatry and healing. She has mastered the scientific and research underpinnings and applied them to her clinical expertise. Her presentations demonstrate this beautifully with solid and believable understanding of the science as well as a caring and empathic knowledge of her patients and their issues. A great researcher, teacher and a tremendous clinician."
—Doug Leonard, DO, Psychiatrist, New Jersey, USA
"I knew there was a connection between mood and food, but in this course, I understood why the ketogenic diet, as a dietary intervention, was so valuable for mental health. Now I feel more confident recommending this way of eating to clients who struggle with mood disorders and mental health problems."
—Eva Flech, FDN-P, Nutritional Therapist, Alicante, Spain
"This course exceeded my expectations! As a Food Addiction Assessment Interviewer and Recovery Coach, many of my clients are recovering from alcoholism/drug addiction and taking SSRI's, SNRI's, (antidepressant drugs) and/or an assortment of supplements. I was concerned some could be contraindicated with a ketogenic food plan, and the course provided me with information I could share with my clients and their medical professionals to guide them to monitor, taper safely, and de-prescribe where indicated."
—Jayn Steele, Food Addiction Assessment and Coaching, British Columbia, Canada
"As a Certified Primal Health Coach who is also certified by Bitten Jonsson as a sugar/processed food addiction specialist, I found this course helpful for me to provide accurate information to clients about the keto diet and possible medications interactions. This helps them take me seriously when I ask them to inform their physician about dietary changes."
— Anna Fruehling, Certified Primal Health Coach, Nebraska, USA
"Georgia is model of humbleness with a hefty dose of knowledge combined with genuine caring and concern for those she is engaged with, whether teaching, consulting or treating."
— Shannon Waliser, LICSW, MPA, dba Mind Body Wellness, West Virginia, USA
Continuing Education Credits
The AAFP has reviewed Ketogenic Diets for Mental Health Clinician Training Program, and deemed it acceptable for 7.00 online only, live AAFP prescribed credits. Term of approval is from 01/12/2022 to 01/12/2023. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
AAFP prescribed credits are accepted by the following organizations:
- American Medical Association (as PRA Category 1 Credit™)
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA)
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANPCB)
- American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
- American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM)
- American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM)
- American Board of Preventative Medicine (ABPM)
- American Board of Urology (ABU)
- American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)
- Department of Healthcare Professions (DHP), Ministry of Public Health - Qatar Equivalency
Please check with your certifying board to determine how to report your credits.
The Board for Certification of Nutrition SpecialistsSM, the certifying board of the American Nutrition Association (ANA), designates this activity for a maximum of 6.5 continuing education credits for the Certified Nutrition Specialist®.